Frequently Asked Questions
From Mcabber Wiki
- MCabber won't connect. It says jab_start: SSL negotiation failed: self signed certificate.
Use 'ssl_verify = 0' in the configuration file, or set the certificates options correctly.
With mcabber >= 0.10 the option name is 'ssl_ignore_checks'.
- How do I connect to my Google Talk account?
With mcabber >= 0.10, setting the 'jid' variable should work.
With mcabber 0.9, it should work with the following options:
set username = email@example.com
set server = talk.google.com
set ssl = 1
set ssl_verify = 0
- I want to bind a key, how do I know the code number?
If the key is available, the key code will be displayed in the log window when you hit that key.
- How do I create a group?
Use /move, if the target group doesn't exist it will be created.
- How can I set a transparent background?
Set color_background = default.
- How do I use PGP encryption?
Please see the OpenPGP page.
- How do I use OTR encryption?
Someone wrote a small HowTo.
- How to retrieve mcabber source using Mercurial?
See Building mcabber from Mercurial.
- How comes the cursor is not at the end of line (EOL) when I use the Up and Down arrows?
By default these keys are bound to iline hist_beginning_search_bwd/hist_beginning_search_fwd, which is very useful once you get used to it. Of course you can rebind the keys (259, 258) to hist_prev/hist_next if you don't like this behaviour...
- Can I get rid of this timeout after hitting Escape?
You can decrease the timeout value by setting the (Ncurses) environment variable ESCDELAY (for example export ESCDELAY=25; mcabber). With mcabber > 0.9.5 there is an "escdelay" option.
- How can I prevent mcabber from scrolling when I receive a message?
See /buffer scroll_lock and scroll_unlock. You can bind a key to buffer scroll_toggle too.
- Can I use a transport with mcabber?
You cannot register with mcabber. However, once you're registered, you can log into and out of transports by sending presence to them (see /status_to).
- MCabber says "WARNING: Bad permissions"! What are "good" permissions for mcabber?
MCabber expects its directory to be 700 (rwx------) and your configuration file should be 600 (rw-------) to ensure that nobody else can read it.
- Fifo does not work in version >= 0.10.2! (also url regex)
In 0.10.2 fifo and url regex were put into a separate from mcabber modules. Module can be loaded with command /module load fifo (or url_regex respectively). This command can also be put into your mcabberrc to load them automatically at startup. Note, however, that you must set parameters for the module before loading it.
- I have a feature request!
Come and tell us in the mcabber MUC room.
- I want to make a donation...
Really? Get my email/jid from the sources and contact me! ;-)
There's also a PayPal button on MCabber's homepage.